Convene civil society pre-summit consultative meetings on the margins of the AU summits.
The Civil Society meeting under the aegis of GIMAC meet ahead of each African Union Summit meeting to engage AU Member States on African women’s rights, issues and concerns. The platform provides civil society the opportunity to engage and inspire grassroots efforts and advocacy needed to empower women and girls across the continent.
AU Heads of State and Governments to adopt the GIMAC Network recommendations
The strategy of the GIMAC is to use its extensive outreach capacity and network to ensure that the GIMAC Network recommendations are included in the outcome documents of African Union Summit meetings towards implementation by Member States. The GIMAC also generates annual shadow reports that monitor and evaluate the performance of the AU and Member states in the implementation of the SDGEA.
Influence & Intiate
Influence policy on Gender Equality and Women Empowerment in Africa (GEWE)
Intiate innovative projects in the Solemn Declaration on Gender Equality in Africa (SDGEA) key areas that effectively empower women
The adoption of the Solemn Declaration on Gender Equality in Africa (SDGEA) during the third ordinary session of the AU Assembly of Heads of State and Government in July 2004 was a landmark achievement in the struggle to promote and protect the rights of women as an integral part of Africa’s development.
GIMAC’s advocacy efforts to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment within the AU and Member States are guided by the SGDEA, the Parity Principle, the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa, as well as the UNSCR 1325. GIMAC works to:
- accelerate progress towards the inclusion of women and girls at the decision- making level through advocacy using evidence-based research
- enhance policy-level towards the integration of gender into national processes
- create gender advocacy campaigns focusing on the various aspects and themes of the Solemn Declaration
Initiate innovative projects and convene strategic partners with potential capacity to implemented them in different countries
- MSD for Mothers – Accelerated action for maternal and neonatal mortality reduction to meet agenda 2063 and SDG targets
- Plan International – She Leads Africa Regional Program
- Empowering Women in Agriculture (EWA) project